The exterior, as all homes on Main Street in Waterford, have a historical easement to the Virginia Department of Historic Resources which was done in the 1970's to preserve it's historical appearance, the interior of the properties are not eased.
Waterford was founded about 1733 by Amos Janney, a Pennsylvania Quaker. Soon after other Quakers followed him here. Mills were built along Catoctin Creek. The village continued to grow until it was the second largest town in Loudoun County before the Civil War.
This thriving original Quaker settlement is situated on Catoctin Creek in the northern part of Loudoun County, 6 miles south of Taylorstown, 7 miles northwest of Leesburg, 47 miles west from Washington and 159 miles north of Richmond. It was named after the town of Waterford in Ireland where some of its founders had formerly resided. The first house within the town limits was built by one Asa Moore and remains standing today. In common with the other towns and villages of the famous Loudoun Valley, Waterford is noted for its numerous and inexhaustible wells of the purest and best water, bracing air and low mortality rate. It has 383 inhabitants, 44 of whom are merchants and mechanics. The town is preserved through the Waterford Foundation.
The Waterford Fair is the oldest crafts fair in Virginia. Four-time winner of the county’s “Best Event of the Year,” the historic village of Waterford welcomes fairgoers from around the world each October for three days of living history, food, handicrafts, and live entertainment.
Friends and families, adults and children all delight in lively performances of traditional music and dance; reenactments by Colonial and Civil War-era militia and cavalry; art and photography exhibits, hands-on demonstrations of traditional American crafts by 155 renowned artisans (many nationally known) plus the ever-popular tour of private historic homes. It is a wonderful time for the whole family to enjoy the traditions of the past.